Manufacturing more efficiently with modern high-performance tools
Modern high-performance tools are extremely powerful. Time savings of more than 60 percent can be quickly realized in adaptive roughing with HPC (high- performance cutting) tools alone. And time savings of more than 80 percent can be achieved in finishing with circle-segment cutters – compared with machining with conventional ball cutters. However, many companies are hesitant to implement these tools.
Time savings on such a scale are impressive. So it's no surprise that many are interested in HPC and circle-segment cutters. We had well over 100 registrations just for our webinar on the subject of high-performance tools last September. We wanted to know the exact figures and asked the participants whether they are currently using high-performance tools in their companies. The astonishing result: Despite their enormous potential, high-performance tools have not yet secured a permanent position in most tool magazines. This is especially the case for circle-segment cutters, which only seven percent of those surveyed are using. However, 85 percent can easily imagine doing so. And there's room to grow for both of the better-known HPC tools: A good 49 percent are considering using them in the future – which is nearly all of those who are not yet doing so. We have summarized the advantages of adaptive roughing with HPC cutters and of finishing with circle-segment cutters in an overview for you here. And we will show you how Tebis supports the use of these high-performancetools – because the CAD/CAM software also has to be a perfect fit to really get the maximum benefit.
Survey of webinar participants
Adaptive roughing with HPC tools
In adaptive roughing, the path layout is automatically adapted to the geometry without fullcut machining. Thanks to the large depth of cut and small lateral stepover, this roughing type is especially suitable for parts with many steep areas – whether you are manufacturing hard or soft materials.
Finishing with circle-segment cutters
Compared with conventional ball cutters, circlesegment cutters have very large radii in the cutting area. This enables them to achieve a uniform roughness with very large path distances in finishing and prefinishing. Machining is significantly faster and the results are outstanding. It is suitable for both 3-axis tilted as well as for 5-axis simultaneous machining operations.
1) A comparison of circle-segment and ball cutters.
2) Larger path distances and better surfaces.
3) For 3-axis tilted and 5-axis simultaneous machining operations.
Tebis and modern high-performance tools are therefore an excellent match
- Tebis supports all tools: Any tool contours can be quickly and easily developed with a curve and can be represented one-to-one in the virtual world.
- Optmial roughing: 2.5D, 3D and 5-axis machining operations can be very easily combined with integrated blank transfer.
- Efficient 5-axis milling: You benefit doubly in 5-axis milling when finishing with circle-segment cutters. Connected milling areas can now be machined in a single operation with no extra design effort.